Friday, December 12, 2008

Trendy and Alone

As I sit surrounded
in a world that's left me behind,
I wonder if they are looking,
and if they are, just what they'll find.
I've never seen myself
through the eyes of another man,
never even seen a photo,
from which I haven't turned and ran.
Is this the new norm
for this chic world of ours,
to somehow feel alone,
in even the trendiest of bars?
People are like snowflakes
all of us unique,
so why is it only,
about others that we speak?
Why is there no longer time
to wander through one's soul,
and why only under drink,
is it possible to lose control?
If there is no point
to the superficial madness,
why does fitting in,
still fill the heart with gladness?
I have lived, and seen, and done
what most are yet to try,
and yet often feel,
that this world will pass me by.
I also have a dream
for a world not unlike this,
but in which people appreciate,
the simple things they miss.
I guess we'll never know
at least not for sure,
whether conformity is a disease,
rather than a cure.
And so we will leave it
to ponder another day,
time for me to join them,
and drink these thoughts away...
A poem I uncovered from years ago (possibly written in 2006), but oddly still relevant.

No comments: