Thursday, December 18, 2008

The CrackBerry

In those moments where I find myself standing alone,
It only takes seconds to pull out my phone
I’m not checking the time, or a text from a mate
I’m just trying to look cool while I sit here and wait

I need something to do with my hands and my eyes,
Is she looking at me, what about those guys?
Where are my friends, the bus or the train?
On my own only my cell keeps me sane

Before the phone there was another distraction
A way to make sure there was never inaction
Constantly fidgeting because I’m too important to wait
There’s a high-powered meeting for which I’m obviously late.

Why do I feel this constant need to impress?
They’ll never see me again and I couldn’t care less
I’m only the centre of my own universe
She’s not interested in me, her head’s in her purse.

But what makes me so afraid of just standing and being
No matter who is looking, nobody is seeing
These moments alone are a misused gift
The chance to stop, reflect and let the mind drift.

So when the urge next strikes to stare into that screen
Instead I’ll think about how good my life has been
So limited is my stay on this earth
Its time to treasure these moments alone for all that they’re worth.

Written Dec 2008, to all the insecure people who fidgit while waiting alone in public (of which I am definitely one)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great poem! Much better than most of the others I see on the blogs. Merry Xmas!!

Anonymous said...

I like the analogy of the blackberry phone and the way you constructed this poem was fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Your poetry is very individualistic and creative, quite a change from the norm.

Unknown said...

Interesting poem - keep up the good work!

Blessings.

Sincerely,

-Liane Schmidt.